Please note: Due to the holiday season, this will be the last Site Update posted this year. We'll pick back up on the first Thursday of 2015!
In our continuous effort to improve the DeviantArt experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update
Update to Hidden CommentsWe've made an update to the way hidden comments display, for cleanliness and ease.
Please note: This change does not affect how comments on your deviations and Profile Page appear for you. It only affects how visitors see your deviations and Profile Page.
- When viewing pages that aren't your personal deviations or Profile Page, base comments that have been hidden will not appear, for easier viewing.
- If a comment receives replies before it is hidden, "Hidden by ____" will still display, and the replies will remain intact, to provide transparency regarding community conversation.
Based on community feedback, two changes have been made to the subnavigation bar on the DeviantArt homepage. When viewing any of the browse methods on the homepage (Today, Watch Feed, Browse, etc.):
- The subnavigation bar will travel down the page with you
- A "Return to Top" button appears in the right side of the subnavigation
We are continuing to monitor community feedback, to further build on the DeviantArt experience.
Internet Explorer 9 No Longer SupportedThe Internet is an ever-changing place, and new capabilities made available in major browser releases allow developers (here at DeviantArt and elsewhere on the Internet) to build faster, more stable and secure technology. When you use an outdated browser to visit DeviantArt — or any other site — the site doesn't always work as intended. We stop accepting bug reports for those browsers over time, as it consumes time for our developers and hinders site advancement as a whole.
For some time now, Internet Explorer 9 has made up a very small portion of site traffic, yet contributed disproportionately to bug reports. With this in mind, we are henceforth dropping support for it. We strongly encourage that you always use the latest version of your favorite browser, to ensure that you can see all the Web has to offer.
- The legacy mobile website, an old version of our mobile site which we stopped supporting in 2012 but remained available for users on very outdated devices, has been phased out.
- When visiting DeviantArt from a mobile device, the banner promoting the new mobile app would have to be dismissed on each pageload, rather than disappearing after being dismissed once. Fixed by baclap
- After making a new Collection from the Favourites menu in the top right corner of the site, you would have to refresh the page before you could add a deviation to it. Fixed by baclap
- There was a display issue with the text entry box in Chat. Fixed by inazar
- The "Submit to Group" box would display as an empty box on the Submit page if a deviant was not an administrator of any Groups. Fixed by outgoingcoyote
Thank you for the feedback on last week's Site Update
- Deviants were generally positive about the release of the DeviantArt Mobile App.
- In response to the Discuss topic, some of the most requested features for the mobile app were items that we're planning to implement, including support for iOS 7 and Windows Phones, as well as being able to access Notes.
- Other requested features for the mobile app included editing deviations, full Groups access, and access to Sta.sh.
- HappyAggro suggested that a method to upload to DeviantArt and have that cross-post to Instagram or other social channels at the same time would be useful.
- Violet-Petunia noted that being able to preview a comment on the mobile app would be helpful.
Header artwork: All-New Ghost Rider #12 Cover by FelipeSmith
Because this is the last Site Update of the year, we don't have a Discuss topic this week. Have a safe and happy holiday season!
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment here!
Check out a list of common suggestions!
Want to keep track of known issues? Check out our Status Forum!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)